Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfkc() should not be called statically in /web/bajagay/public_html/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1663

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfkc() should not be called statically in /web/bajagay/public_html/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1663

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4674: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1663)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1663)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1663)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1663)
BajaGay.com - 2010 Tijuana and Ensenada Pride
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:28 am

BajaGay.com | Promote Your Page Too

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
2010 Tijuana and Ensenada Pride 
Site Admin

Re: 2010 Tijuana and Ensenada Pride
15th Annual Tijuana Pride Draws Hundreds: A First Perspective
Sunday, June 20, 2010

By Ivan Garcia, Assistant Editor | San Diego GLTNews
LINK: http://gltnewsnow.com/2010/06/20/15th-annual-tijuana-pride-draws-hundreds-a-first-perspective/

Fifteen years ago, less than a hundred brave GLBT Mexican citizens and many of their American supporters marched through downtown Tijuana for this region’s first Gay Pride Parade. It was in the middle of the afternoon in, then, tourist filled Revolution Ave. The marchers were warmly greeted by everyone along the streets. Why do I remember, because I (Nicole Ramirez) was honored to have been named the “International Grand Marshal” of the 1st Tijuana Pride Parade in 1995. I also remember that a major Mexican Presidential candidate had been assassinated weeks earlier in Tijuana and though there were some concerns, the parade seemed most welcomed by everyone.
Attachment:
DSC02249-300x225.jpg
DSC02249-300x225.jpg [ 31.68 KiB | Viewed 8181 times ]

I return to Tijuana this past Saturday to once again march in their, now, 15th Annual Tijuana Pride Parade and attend their 1st Annual Pride Festival. It was again my honor 15 years later to be once again name “International Grand Marshal” of the 2010 Tijuana Pride Parade. Earlier Saturday afternoon, one of my good, straight girl friends, business woman Cheri Reeves and I headed to Tijuana and parked her car this side of the border and walked across and took a Tijuana taxi into downtown’s Revolution Ave.
Attachment:
DSC02195-150x150.jpg
DSC02195-150x150.jpg [ 11.22 KiB | Viewed 8181 times ]

Now let’s discuss what you’re all thinking…how could we have any thought about going into Tijuana with all the relent international headlines about drug wars and killings? Well, there have never been any murders of tourist and let me say that it was safer for Cheri and I in Tijuana than in some of our San Diego and Los Angeles gang invested neighborhoods. We had a great time walking the whole parade route along with over 500 of a GLBT Mexican brothers and sisters Tijuana’s first Pride Parade was about half American participation and this 2010 parade was maybe on 5% American GLBT citizens. The State Government of Baja California officially co-sponsors the Tijuana Parade as well as two other GLBT Parades in this Mexican state. Congratulations to Tijuana Pride Parade executive director Lorenzo Herrera who did an outstanding job and is one hell of a hard worker. It was also great to see Jess Durfee, Chair of the Democratice Party of San Diego County, International Journalist Rex Wockner and Chris Horton, Chair of the Tijuana AIDS Fund of the USA.

Tijuana’s 1st Pride Festival

What a great and well-organized two day event right in the middle of downtown Tijuana. It was colorful, fun, entertaining (with three main stages” and fabulous food with everyone making you feel so welcomed. The 1st Tijuana Pride Festival covered about four blocks and a major plaza with probably half a dozen gay bars and nightclubs throughout the area. Now I’ve been to countless Pride Festivals but this was one of the most exciting entertaining and fun. The GLBT community of Tijuana showcased their culture, art, music and pride. The local Mexican Government, police, businesses, community leaders and Tourist Commission strongly supported the two day event. Bravo, to Tijuana Festival founder and director Sean A.E. Zullo, Choices Baja, AIDS Healthcare Foundation and the City of Tijuana Tourist Department. This two day festival was a smash hit and will grow bigger and better every year. Friends and I plan to charter buses from San Diego to Tijuana Pride 2011. I was very impressed with Sean Zullo, his Festival Committee and volunteers. Festival info: http://www.choicesbaja.com)

Once again, Tijuana is very safe for all who go. And is a wonderful and exciting city to visit with lots of color, warmth and smiles. Especially within its GLBT community and nightclubs. For the best websites in English on everything you wanted to know about “Gay Life” in Baja California, Mexico, I highly recommend:

http://www.bajaadvisor.com or http://www.bajagay.com
Attachment:
DSC02212-150x150.jpg
DSC02212-150x150.jpg [ 9.57 KiB | Viewed 8181 times ]

Attachment:
DSC02238-150x150.jpg
DSC02238-150x150.jpg [ 8.57 KiB | Viewed 8181 times ]

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]